Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mini Haul + Product Review

I decided to do a mini haul of a few items I recently picked up. I wanted to wait to do this post in order to make sure I used these products long enough to do a decent review on them. Personally, I believe that one should use a product for at least 4 weeks before giving a review which I have not done, it's been about 2 weeks but I will update you guys if I find that something has changed to my disfavor. I purchased the Organic Lock & Twist Gel because my Jamaican Mango & Lime seemed to be giving my hair a foul odor. I also picked up the Aveeno Nourish + Condition Leave-in Treatment, Almond Oil and Pantene Relaxed & Natural Conditioner. Overall, I am satisfied with the products but still feel like they aren't doing enough for my hair. I am not eating well lately or getting enough water due to stress so I need something that is going to put moisture into my hair as well as keep my retwist in tact for a good length of time when I am not able to devote all my time to my hair.  A healthy frozen dinner to pop in the microwave that keeps you full when life is going so fast and you have no time to cook would would be kind of like the equivalent of what I need for my hair right now :-P



The Organic Lock & Twist Gel was good. It held a lot better than the Jamaican Mango & Lime and it did not cause my hair to smell. The only thing I would say I did not care for was that it leaves just a bit of a build up. Not much but I can see the difference between the two products. The scent is very pleasant with coconut milk being on of the main ingredients. The smell is very light and refreshing with a hint of the coconut fragrance. I must say it holds better than the JML, my twist out is still looking good after about a week which is not something that I could really mention when using the JML. I give this product 3.5 out of 5 stars. It's decent and worth a try.



The Aveeno Nourish + Condition Leave-in Treatment is said to "replenish dry, damaged hair" which it actually does but I find that the fix is temporary*. When I sprayed this onto my locs, they instantly became soft and pliable. It was almost like spraying life back into my dry hair so it does do exactly what it says, However, I woke up the next morning and my hair needed another application. I've been using this product for over 2 months now and it is a decent product. * I must mention that back when I was eating good, this product kept my hair feeling soft and healthy for a longer period of time but now that I am not doing my part, it only meets me halfway. What I am trying to express is that  if you have a balanced diet and you are taking care of your hair, this would be an excellent addition to your hair regimen. That goes for the majority of products as well, I feel that we have to meet the product halfway girls, we can't expect miracles! :-)  I give this 3.5 out of 5 stars.




I picked up some Almond Oil for my hair and I've come to the conclusion that putting any type of oil on my hair just does not work for my hair. I've been using oil off and on since I first went natural and was sporting an afro puff all the way until now with my locs. It makes my hair feel coated and sticky. Oil is a sealant but it seems to be too thick for my thin strands and I feel it does more bad than good. Butters and oils are too heavy for my hair and in some cases have caused breakage even when applied sparingly. So I am staying away from oils for a while. Every one's hair is different, mine hates protein and some say protein is the best thing since sliced bread so oils may work for you but they just don't work for me. No stars.




 The Pantene Relaxed & Natural Conditioner is a mediocre conditioner for me. I was not at all impressed. It has a pleasant smell and texture, it also feels very good and light on the hair but it did not leave much moisture in my locs. The instructions read to leave on the hair for 2 minutes before rinsing away which is exactly what I did. My locs felt good until they were completely dried, then I was able to tell that this conditioner did not make much of a difference. I give this product 2 out of 5 stars.


These are my personal and honest opinions on these products. Every one's hair is different so what may not work for me, may in fact work great for you. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The reviews are helpful when you're staring at an aisle full of products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you! I am glad I was able to help :-)

    ReplyDelete